Friday, July 27, 2007

east tawas mi 7.24.2007


greetings from east tawas MI.


I had a very frustrating morning. l slept beside the highway, disturbed every-so-often by a passing truck or woodland critter. l was freezing and damp and tired. My hands were chapped from not wearing gloves, I was sunburnt...you get the idea. I was not having the experience that I set out to have...oh yeah, did i say it looked like rain?
Then there was East Tawas.I had breakfast at Mcdonalds...afamiliar comfort, then visited the local wal-mart for some gloves, a raincoat, and some food for the road.
Across the street was a park with a marina. The light was that morning light painters dream of...pink,purple, and blue with clouds in the sky...is there going to be a storm, or is that light peeking through the clouds?
I decided to paint the maina, in spite of boats being a difficult subject to paint. I was greeted by a friendly boater who asked about my travels. I told him about my trip, then found a place to paint on the pier.
A pair of women stopped to watch me paint. Barbara, owns a gallery and art supply shop overlooking the shore. she sells paints made with honey as the binder. The pigments look rich, l'm eager to try them out.

No comments: