Thursday, April 05, 2007

new media??


I have been experimenting with a new way to draw/paint. The artwork is created through a touch sensitive screen on a computer with photoshop.

The three crocks in a corner window are a current work in process. The sketch was created on location. There are no photo references.

I started drawing using 3 tones:
  • dark brown (shadows)
  • sepia (midtones)
  • light yellow (highlights)
Then I drew the aqua color with a semi-opaque brush, allowing the light/dark contrast of the underpainting come through.

I have been using the rub tool to smear the brush strokes.

It's a challenge whenever an artist starts a new medium, and this one is no different. I am somewhat familiar with photoshop as a photo editing program. However, I am interested in using it in a similar way to how an artist would use traditional media.

Right now, I want to learn to:
  • create custom brushes that respond to a surface texture
  • create brushes that respond to the color they are applied to (similar to Painter's smeary brushes)
  • apply textures that look natural
This is new material, so comments/suggestions are greatly apprecaited

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the touch sensitive screen you are using? Is it a Waacom tablet? I have been wanting one for a long time.

Cheryl

Ken Swinson said...

Hi Cheryl,

I am using a tablet PC. I used to use a small wacom tablet with my older computer, but it does not work with the tab PC. I think it has something to do with a conflict between the pen drivers. I've talked to wacom about it, and they couldn't offer a resolution.

So if your interested in trying one out, you are welcome to give mine a spin.

peace
ken